Need of Metro Rail for Hyderabad City
Greater Hyderabad is a mega city that covers 625 sq. km. of municipal corporation area and 6,852 sq. km. of metropolitan area. It is fast emerging as the hub of IT/ITES, Biotech, Pharma and Tourism sectors. Its strategic geographical location, multilingual and cosmopolitan culture, tremendous growth potential and investment-friendly economic policy are all making it an attractive destination for corporates, entrepreneurs, academicians and homemakers alike.
- Its population stands at 10 million+ and is projected to touch 13.6 million by 2021.
- Currently, over 5 million personalised vehicles ply on Hyderabad roads, with an addition of 0.50 million vehicles every year.
- 8 million motorised trips are made every day, of which, only about 3.2 million or 40% are made by the Public Transportation System (PTS) i.e. buses and local trains. That means the rest of the trips are made by personal vehicles leading to traffic bottlenecks, high pollution levels and a steep increase in fuel consumption.
- A people-friendly city is that which provides a good quality of life. An efficient, safe, reliable and comfortable public transportation system is one of the pre-requisites of good living.
- The increasing pressure of the burgeoning population is putting Hyderabad's Transportation System under constant pressure. The need of the hour is a robust system that is dependable, comfortable, affordable and sustainable.
The answer lies in Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS). Accordingly, the development of Metro Rail was approved for 72 km., covering three high density traffic corridors of Hyderabad. The Project is being developed on DBFOT basis in PPP mode.